Friday, May 7, 2010

Work in progress...

Salvidor Dali- Woman with head of roses.






With the swimsuit I wanted to incorporate elements of outerwear into the swimsuit i.e. shoulder pads. Thus I intended to exaggerate the shoulders and alter the natural appearance of the body. In continuation of this idea I wanted to split the swimsuit in half. Demonstrating stretch fabrics ability to drape and form fit the body’s contours. One half is left to look like a normal swimsuit whilst the other half is constructed by multiple pieces of the swimsuit that have been joined together and draped on one side of the body. Hiding the body’s contours vs. moulding them.
The image of Salvidor Dali’s painting-‘woman in a head of roses’ is to me reminiscent of this projected idea. The surrealists pursued to experiment with the body in the pursuit of a range of psychological, sociological and sexual concerns; which I intend to shadow.
“Surrealism is based on the belief in the superior reality of certain forms of previously neglected association, in the omnipotence of dream, in the disinterested play of thought. It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving the principal problems of life.”(Fashion & Surrealism by Francois Baudot)
The current toile I’m working on is still in the process of being resolved. I am still in the stage of perfecting the fit of the shoulder pads and neckline, thus I found that by slashing sections of the fabric at the shoulder and neck line it ultimately releases some of the tension and the fabric and conducts a flatter fit- which I intend to imply in the next pattern for the piece.



(Salvidor Dali image from

No comments:

Post a Comment